FOR WANT OF A NAIL played to rave reviews at the April 2019 Female Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Lucy (director): The script and it’s message, it was not trying to “sugarcoat” what having OCD is really like.. it was showing how intense it can be for the person who suffers from it.
Ali (producer): Although I was not looking for a script that specifically focused on mental health, after reading FWOAN just a couple of times, it felt like a natural follow up to my previous short about PTSD.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Lucy: I believe it was about a year…
Ali: Writer Nick and I had been working together for a few months before mainly to find a director we wanted to work with. Lucy, Nick and I then ran a development workshop with volunteers from OCD Action and Actors to learn more about the condition.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Lucy: Frank and Eye Opening
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Lucy:Finding Marty and a shower to film in 🙂
Ali:Definitely finding a shower! Our Actor Clark is quite tall
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Lucy: I may not have agreed with all the feedback, but I can see where people came from, I learnt a lot , I will take on what has been said and it use it to evolve as a director
Ali: Excited! We had some really interesting feedback and although not everyone enjoyed the film, it certainly had them talking! For me that is the best result, the only way to raise awareness for mental health conditions, like OCD, is to talk about it. ‘For Want Of A Nail’ has been lucky enough to have full support and endorsement from OCD Action, the charity were very much involved in production from development to final film. It has always been important to me to show an honest portrayal of OCD.
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Lucy: Nick had already written the script but the idea of adding animation was the first thing that came to mind when I read it..
Ali: Nick, our writer, suffers with OCD. He was inspired to write the script as a cathartic experience to try and get to grips with his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Lucy: Old Boy
Ali: Star Wars!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Lucy: I think it’s great
Ali: Very user friendly system.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Lucy: Oh that’s a hard one.. probably Bohemian Rhapsody
Ali: Same as Lu!
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Lucy: I’m adapting a Shakespeare for a modern audience looking at the mental health of the character and hopefully get people to connect with Shakespeare more
Ali: I’m in the process of pitching the ‘For Want Of A Nail’ TV series and have just completed post for a feature film called ‘The Hidden Track’ which is due for release later this year.