WATERS OF MARCH played to rave reviews at the April 2020 ANIMATION FEEDBACK Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Elizabeth Lewis: The illness and death of my brother, the most important person in my life, who died a year earlier.By a strange twist of fate, he died in March.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took eight months
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
lyrical and poignant
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
There were no real obstacles and working on it day after day was pure joy.What concerned me for months, though, was that I hadn’t contacted the singer Stacey Kent for permission to use the song. When I finally reached her, the artwork was almost complete. It was a tremendous relief to get her email saying that she loved the film and would certainly give me full permission. Whew! is putting it mildly.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was impressed that they were young and yet responded so positively to what is considered an older technique.I am so encouraged that young people are open to this style and were so knowledgeable about the history of the song and that they saw the underlying meaning within the images.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I had heard the song Waters of March over the years but when I heard Stacey Kent sing it I was immediately moved to make an animated film. The feeling was instantaneous. I heard it in the car, pulled over, wrote down the record name and began production when I got home.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Hard to say because I am an obsessive overwatcher of the same films and the list is long. Pinocchio by Walt Disney for sure.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is awesome. Easy, straightforward, and so many festivals. The staff is second to none. I had a few miscommunications with a couple of festivals and they resolved it immediately.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Waters of March. I listened to it multiple times a day for nearly eight months and never got tired of it.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes a new film for sure.Just starting the production process now.