CRUSH was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the August 2019 LGBT Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Heather Harris: I am very fascinated by the human mind and psychological thrillers. In all of my films I usually have some aspect of mental health involved in the story, so I wanted to make a film about psychosis and someone struggling with suicidal thoughts, a struggle I know too well myself. I also identify with the LGBTQ community thus wanted to portray a queer relationship in some aspect in this film as well.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
From idea to finish this film took about one and a half to two years to make.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Definitely the editing process, I think because we were rushed for time there was a lack of footage to choose from and my style wasn’t coming across at first. Our first editor, Rommel had to leave early and then I talked to a few editors who couldn’t really pull off the final product until I met with my final editor Jeremy. For a while I thought the film was a lost cause until I met Jeremy.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was a little rough to watch for me personally as some people got it and a lot of others didn’t however I really appreciated the last man interviewed with the degree(s) in psychology as I feel like he got exactly what I was trying to convey and exactly what the message of the story was.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I watched a lot of films about doppelgängers.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I once saw Spring Breakers by Harmony Korine five times in theaters.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I love FilmFreeway it is so much easier than using other platforms in my experience.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Haha I don’t know really but I know I listened to “My Happy Ending” By Avril Lavigne non stop as an adolescent
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently working on two feature scripts and have a feature in development.