Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
David Hearne: Old hat good guys versus bad guys in space. Twist is Earth are really the bad guys. Mirrors the U.S war in IRAQ via subtext. It’s an older screenplay brought back to life recently.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I’m not sure it should, it’s a bit dated now. I wrote it a long time ago. Some bits work but others not so much. I do think it’s still entertaining though.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Aliens followed by Casablanca
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It took me a year with many revisits.
7. How many stories have you written?
A dozen shorts and four features.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
Eye of the Tigers, Survivor. I’m a big Dave Bickler fan. His recent album Darklight shows he’s still got it. He’s got me through some rough patches.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Many! I wrote it during studying the advanced diploma of screen and my whole class and instructor critiqued it.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your
experiences working with the submission platform site?
Pretty good. This is one of my favourite festivals because you bring the screenplays to life! Some you never hear back from.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings
on the initial feedback you received?
Sounded good and lived up to expectations. I’ve attended quite a few of the festivals in person and none of them have done readings thus far. Screenplays are often just an add-on.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
In the far-flung future, a conflicted space pilot will fulfil an ancient family prophecy and discover a plot to start an intergalactic war. Rather than stop the war, his enemy realises that with the right motivation, he can actually be the catalyst for it. On the planet Callon, a group of peace-keepers led by Jarre encounter the Tharnian Empire. Jarre escapes after clashing with a tharnian named Rugor.
Wright: Sean Ballantyne
Masterdon: Matt Schichter
Ganna: Katelyn Varadi
Narration: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Jarre: Ted Powers
Ky: Gabriel Darku
Vegas: Miriam Capper