Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Alex Gold: Two online friends meet for the first time at a Furry Con. But when their pasts resurface, will their relationship survive?
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
It’s a comedy/drama. It will make you laugh, but it explores serious themes.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
The characters, scenario and depiction of furries 100% authentic.
The furry fandom is often misunderstood and misrepresented. Nothing else out there captures it as accurately as this screenplay. It’s like looking into another world, but it’s all real.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Real-talk: I love Home Alone. I used to watch it all the time as a kid, and it still makes me laugh as an adult.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
The idea’s been floating around in my head for several years. It felt good to finally get it all out.
7. How many stories have you written?
I’ve been writing all of my life. I write professionally for video games, and I’ve written numerous other screenplays.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
I’ve been listening to 666 ʇ by Bon Iver at least once a week for several years. It’s detailed, enigmatic, and I love how it escalates. Each time I hear it, I catch something new.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Because of my closeness to the subject matter, it was painful to write. Almost every experience within has been taken directly from my life, or inspired by the lives of close friends. This is as real as it gets.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Video games. Music. And it probably goes without saying, but the furry fandom is a significant part of my life.
11. You entered your screenplay via Coverfly. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Coverfly has been fantastic! Easy to use, and wonderful for connecting to great festivals like this one!
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was intrigued by the live readings, and it was highly reviewed! I agree with a lot of the feedback – I will be taking all of it to heart for future projects!
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Love, hope and heartbreak at a Furry convention.
Narrator: Allison Kampf
Berry (M): Geoff Mays
David (M): Steve Rizzo
Silver Blade (F): Cassandra Guthrie
Curl Power (M): Fabio Abreu
Berry (M): Allan Michael Brunet