Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Thom Holland: A huntsman battles a brutal winter and the spirits that in habit the forest around his family’s home.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Fantasy, and horror to some extent
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s a tight, short tale that offers a rich visual narrative wrapped up in the mythos of traditional fables and fantasy. We don’t see those nearly enough anymore!
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
The first draft was written in a single weekend when the idea came to me, almost fully formed. It’s since had several redrafts over about four years until I landed on wanting to do it as an animated short and from then on it’s been pretty much locked.
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
I’m completely all over the place, musically. I’m currently listening to a lot of ELO and Thom Yorke but tomorrow it might be Earth, Wind & Fire with David Bowie or Talking Heads and some vaporwave/electronica mixed in.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Remembering that I designed it to be entirely without dialogue so needed to keep my focus on action!
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Filmmaking, animation, illustration, design, psychology and sci-fi.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It’s been great! Very easy to use. Wish it had been as prevalent 10 years ago, it would have helped motivate me to get more work out there!
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I did a number of searches on fantasy/horror/sci-fi festivals and this one came up well recommended – the opportunity to have a recorded table read made it very appealing above festivals that simply offered laurels and small cash prizes too!
Watch the Screenplay Readings:
A huntsman battles a brutal winter and the spirits that inhabit the forest around his family’s home.
Narrator: Val Cole