FARTMAS was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the March 2019 Comedy & Drama Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Siqi Xiao: Too many people are so serious~~You know the students who learning filmmaking here, everybody wanna be a film master and win the oscar! I am not! I just wanna be an entertaimer to let people happy. But I do sent the massage—“don’t waste your talent”. So it’s not only a shity comedy.
I used to be a singer and I wasted my talent. So I want to let people know everybody has talent, don’t waste it!
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It’s been one year. When I started my film school I got this idea. And a lots of people laugh at me. I started to write it and finish it from July-2017 to March-2018.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
A scene in downtown LA, there were too many homeless interrupted our shooting.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I finally heard something that people around me would not say.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I saw too many “man”, batman, superman, spiderman, why their superpower so cool?! why can’t be a fart? why can’t be an Asian guy?
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
1-7，LOL~ OK，Forrest Gump!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s hard to find the “Right One” you should submit.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
A Chinese Song
10. What is next for you? A new film?
yeah~of course! keep going!