Matthew Toffolo: What is your novel about?
Scott Meehan: In 2003, a female soldier approaches Major David Allan and gives him a crystal marble, telling him that he must keep it with him at all times. When he goes on Christmas Leave from Balad, Iraq, the C-5 Air Force jet is shot down in the wasteland of Iraq…and he is the only survivor.
After being in a three-month coma, David wakes up in a hospital bed at Walter Reed, his wife, Sherry, looking much younger than when he left for the war zone, at his side. Along with the television shows, news magazines, and general talk, David comes to realize that he is back in the year 1991.
History is on track just as David remembers it so he makes wiser decisions, but on the side, he takes on a fictitious name and bank account to gain wealth through investments and betting on Super Bowl and World Series winners at Vegas.
Life is flowing smoothly until he remembers that the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing is about to take place in 1995. Faced with the decision to save lives or change the course of history, David tries to warn the FBI without implicating himself of the upcoming disaster.
Later, when on a vacation in Aruba with Sherry, the mysterious girl appears with the crystal marble and gives it back to David…then walks out into the sea. When he tries to follow her, David discovers a new world as the unexpected takes hold of him in a reality beyond what is perceivable to his mind, body, and soul.
2. What genres would you say this story is in?
Science Fiction / Fantasy / Time Travel
3. How would you describe this story in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Star Wars or Back to the Future (first ones).
5. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
“Time Waits for No One” – Rolling Stones
6. Do you have an all-time favorite novel?
“Killer Angels” by Michael Shaara
7. What motivated you to write this story?
After retiring from my 25 years in the military, I thought back many times, “What if…?” to the many paths I did not take at the crossroads.
8. If you could have dinner with one person (dead or alive), who would that be?
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
My family, especially my grandchildren.
10. What influenced you to enter your story to get performed?
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
If you love writing, don’t ever quit. Write because you want to…write because you like to.
Watch the Novel Performance Reading:
Performed by Elizabeth Rose Morriss
In 2003, a female soldier approaches Major David Allan and gives him a crystal marble, telling him that he must keep it with him at all times. When he goes on Christmas Leave from Balad, Iraq, the C-5 Air Force jet is shot down in the wasteland of Iraq…and he is the only survivor.