CHICKEN played to rave reviews at the July 2020 Female Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Paula C. Frías: My friends and I were stuck in a very tedious job that felt very “groundhog day” type. And i wanted to reflect that idea.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Not long since we were a very small crew (just 3), so maybe a few weeks to find the places where we wanted to shoot and edit.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
funny and sad.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We had so much footage it was difficult to decide what to keep and what to let go.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
They got the concept. And that´s a great feeling.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
When you want to live off of film you have to do random jobs and that was the start.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That´s such a tough question, but probably any from Spielberg or Scorsese.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It`s such a helpful platform for a filmmaker. At the beginning you don’t know where to start, and this platform gives you a guide to follow.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Oughta know (Alanis Morrisette), without any doubt in my mind
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’ve just finished my first feature. It`s a documentary about two cloistered nuns, one being a slave from the xviith century and the other entering the convent freely from today. Quite the change of subject from “Chicken”, uh?