Undermine Beneath Canada’s Ghost Towns was the winner of BEST DOC CHARACTER at the March 2020 Documentary Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Frank Schlichting: It was made to promote what I was doing to get on TV
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Some of it was from videos I had made on YouTube so several years.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Computers and bureaucracy
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I thought it was awesome that I could show people thousands of miles away what it was like underground in an abandoned mine.
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Telus had the contest to make the film so I worked hard to get the funding and basically the film was just an upscale version of what I was doing on YouTube.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
The theme from my YouTube channel we used in the first few years. Into the darkness
10. What is next for you? A new film?
No I will continue with the YouTube. Of course there is always the chance that the phone will ring someday and some producer asks me to do a project with him. That was the idea of making the film in the first place.