STARTING LINEUP played to rave reviews at the February 2020 Documentary Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Sarah Baptist: I went to the overflow area of Jurassic Park for Game 1 of the Raptors playoff. I instantly became friends with the two men behind me in line. There was something really unique about the community. Strangers were friends. The next time I went back, I brought a camera and I tried to capture it.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took two months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The lineup was right beside a highway. The audio really needed to be
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was great. I just want to keep getting better at the craft of short documentary films and hearing the audience reactions helped me learn what I should do for the next film.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I came up with the idea for the film when I was the Jurassic Park viewing area.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Wizard of Oz.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is a convenient way to submit films.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Sturgill Simpson – Breakers Roar
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I would love to make another film. I’m really interested in telling stories from people we don’t hear from and who may be misunderstood.