Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
George Deihl Jr: The bookish Isaac Bangs, a playful Nathan Hale and mysterious Lizzie Fannon battle a fiendish soul stealing demon in Manhattan set by the backdrop of the American Revolution.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Comedy Action Horror Thirller
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It has the feeling of Indiana Jones. And I think we’re missing that in cinema today. It’s simple and the special effects could be achieved practically. But it’s not as ‘flashy’ and the time period lends itself to being a ‘thinker’ because the dialogue is somewhat heightened. And they are real people- even Isaac. You can google his actual journal. Id like to add a little intelligence back into our action films. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Star Wars: A New Hope
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It’s been bouncing around in my head since about 2005. But I wrote it over the summer of 2018. All told 4 months.
7. How many stories have you written?
I’ve written some shorts, some fan fiction and science fiction. I wrote a short which was produced called ISSUES. It’s about a psychiatrist, Dr. Leer, who has a patient, Calvin Elliot, is the world’s most powerful superhero. When he talks about his life, it cuts away to comic books page and panels. I illustrated those as well.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Currently Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man by The Bob Seeger System. It’s on the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Soundtrack.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Starting. Actually putting pen to paper. It was much easier having it live at as this perfect idea in my head.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I’m an actor. georgedeihljr.com I also draw. bixelboone.com My wife (who I’m also passionate about) adopt senior dogs. Right now we love and care for a toothless little poodle named Vanilla Beans. You can find him on Instagram #vanillabeantonguemachine
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It’s great. The only way to go.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was pleased and found the feedback helpful. I also felt the judges took time with the feedback.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
In 1776, a young medic in the Continental Army struggles to solve a series of gruesome murders in Manhattan’s Brothel District, and uncovers a secret that could cost him his soul.
Jacob: Biden Hall
Lizzie: Aliya Hamid
Ben: Geoff Mays
Narrator: Val Cole
Cunningham: Shawn Devlin
Isaac: Chris O’Bray
Madame: Pascale Behrman