Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Jax Smith & Helene Taylor: A prodigy pianist with misophonia (extreme sound sensitivity) becomes unhinged when she interviews with a sexually predatory Music Director.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
With women’s empowerment movements such as Time’s Up elevating consciousness about obstacles women encounter daily, both in their personal and professional lives, Discord seeks to highlight one such situation of employment disparity within the realm of classical music.
DISCORD ultimately asks the question: How out of harmony with herself does a woman have to fall, to stay in tune with a male conducted workforce?
An experience, undoubtedly, far too many women will find relatable.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Uncomfortable and timely.
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Together? We’ve seen none, lol. Clearly we need a movie date soon.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Jax: Off and on, for a year and a half.
Helene: A weekend.
Jax: Clearly one of us is more committed.
7. How many stories have you written?
Together? About four officially, but about a billion half-baked ones according to our texts & notes apps on our phones.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Together? Anything vinyl. Because we want you to think we’re cool like that (not hipster cool, but cool).
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
You actually don’t want the answer to this question, it will get far too dark for this interview.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Jax: Nothing and no one.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It’s been a beneficial tool for our screenwriting goals.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
We felt DISCORD suited the festival’s ethos and the feedback was helpful and appreciated.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
This short is about a female musician putting up with inappropriate advances from a senior male musician in order to secure a job.
Server: Daniel Jones
Narrator: Regan Brown
Meastro: Luke Robinson
Jane: Cassandra Guthrie