Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Darren Coyle: A movie buff named Bert time travels back from the present day into his past to change a pivotal night in his life. The trouble is, time travel isn’t an exact science, so when he travels back, he’s not playing the main character: himself. He jumps back into all the supporting characters
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Comedy / Sci-Fi / Rom-Com
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I think it is a unique take on a popular genre: time travel. It also presents a non-Hollywood ending that is satisfying both emotionally and story-wise.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Irreverent and clever
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Good question… there are a lot of them. But I would have to say “A Few Good Men” or “Empire Strikes Back”
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I’ve been thinking about it for a year or two… but as far as time actually WRITING… it’s was about 3 or 4 months
7. How many stories have you written?
I have a number of scripts in various stages. A lot of them are at the outline phase. All in all, it’s about 10 different stories I have chugging along.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?
“We Built This City on Rock and Roll”… hands DOWN. If you have two ears and a heart, you’ll agree with me. 😉
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Finding the time to write in this modern world is difficult. I am a TV producer so I have a “day job” that demands 40-50 hours of my time per week. So, I have to find time in the evenings and weekends if I want to get anything done with my own writing. It’s tough to find the time and keep the ambition pumping. Sometimes I just don’t feel like writing or don’t have the spark on inspiration. But that’s when you have to just sit down and do it anyway. That’s how you’ll grow and compose a technique that works for you.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I write and direct films. Most recently I wrote, directed and produced a feature comedy called “Chasing Sunshine” – it got a pretty good festival run and will be on a VOD platform starting this fall.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Film Freeway is great! I’ve been using them over the years for the films I’ve written and directed. I am very glad to have an alternative to WAB – first of all because they are shutting down, but also because they have had some user experience problems that they’ve never addressed. Film Freeway is great!
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Since the script is a comedy, i have been eager to get it in front of comedy people, so I specifically focused on submitting to comedy festivals. The feedback has been very informative and welcome. As a writer, you cannot put a price on good, constructive feedback. So, thank you guys!
Watch Script Reading:
A forty-something tries to change the past to change his present.
Narration – JOLLY AMOAKO
Kassie – 8 – KATELYN VARADI
Bert – 9 – THOMAS FOURNIER
Jody – 1 – DELPHINE ROUSSEL
Eric – 1 – LOGAN FORSYTH