Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Marieta Landkroon: Unfortunately, classical music is still often seen as ‘dusty’ and ‘boring’. As a young artist, I want to show a wide audience that classical music can be incredibly inspiring and impressive. Within the culture of music videos there isn’t much attention for classical music and that is one of the aspects that makes this project innovative and distinctive.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took more than 2.5 years to realize the production of the music video. The first production meeting between director Marieta Landkroon and producers Jamillah van der Hulst and Conrad Alleblas took place in the winter of 2016. With the help of the founding sponsors of the project the song for the music video was recorded in October 2016. It then took another 1.5 years to get the funding in place; sponsors came on board, the Amsterdam Fund for the Arts offered their financial support and a succesfull crowdfunding campaign was executed in April-May 2018. Finally, production took place in the first two weeks of June 2018.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
To get the funding in place. It was a process of 1,5 years.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It is absolutely great to hear that the audience understand what is happening, even though they don’t speak Russian. The music and the images are very abstract and poetic in a way, so I’m glad to hear that the images communicate the message right.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The idea for making a classical music video was based on my love for film and classical music and the realization that the combination of these two arts is almost non-existent as a music video.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
A good place to search for interesting Festivals who can help distribute your film
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Tough question… the one that pops my mind is ‘The Memory Remains’ by Metallica
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I hope so! But first I’m working on a new photography project about the seven archetypal Greek goddesses together with a costume designer.