POSITIVE played to rave reviews at the February 2019 Experimental Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Hadi Moussally: Adina, one the models, was telling me about her association with ANIDA – This organization has one aim: to make the public aware about the Albinos worldwide, especially in Africa. There’s a lot of discrimination towards Albinos or people with skin conditions, and can lead to murder. I’m an activist against injustice of any kind, so I said I need to do something and this is my way to talk about this problem.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Around 2 months
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Awareness & Beauty
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The project is a photo series and film. The series was done first since we had an exhibition in UNESCO & the city hall of Paris. For the film, it took 2 years (just for 1 minute movie!) to have the idea of editing. Because every time we started the editing with Olivier Pagny (co-founder and editor of h7o7Films), we weren’t convinced with the editing. Until the idea of the stroboscopic effect. But it was good to wait to edit it, because when it was released, it won « Best Editing » in Canadian Fashion Film Festival 2019
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Very happy, that some had the same idea of what I thought, and other’s didn’t, which is beautiful. I love when each one has a different idea, it nourishes creativity!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
So I first thought that so the albinos get less discriminated, they should be the opposite, so in negative. But then I thought, why should they change? To please others? They should be proud of themselves and let the others change their thoughts. So That’s why the film is all about negative/positive, and especially to see the positive side of everything and be optimistic.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I usually don’t see a film twice. Only if it’s been years I didn’t see one.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s a great and easy platform to submit and search for festivals.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
It depends on each phase. Usually I rape the repeat button on a song until I find the next one. Now it’s « Schöner fremder Mann » by Connie Francis.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have one film that came out few days ago « Oh Boy! » a collaboration with Antonin Rioche (that created the dance-piece by the same name) and another one will be released soon « L’Un et L’autre » (The One & The Other) a collaboration with 3D printed Jewelry Designer Diana Law and the androgynous actor, Alex Wetter. And Also my first short movie « Space Woman », a personal fictional documentary with my mother, that I’m working on right now.