BODIES OF WATER was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the February 2019 LGBT Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
David Lykes Keenan: The story is based on a pivotal moment in my life. As shown in the film, it was the moment when I found the courage and opportunity to reach out to the first person that I was ever able to come out to. In my case, he was straight (this is intentionally left open to interpretation in the film) but we developed a very close friendship that last for a couple of years before it crashed and burned.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Altogether is was about three years.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The completion a script that satisfied me and my closest supporters.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very impressed with how attentive the viewers were and how small details (like the old PC in the office scene) and the subtleties of Ellar’s performance were noticed.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
This is pretty much the same answer as #1. It is well known that first screenplays are very often auto-biographical.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Of the two, FilmFreeway and WithoutaBox, I much prefer FF. It seems to be better at notifying when the submission status changes and I like how it remembers payment information so I don’t have to enter it every time.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I hope so. I have been working on a feature screenplay (your festival table read part of it awhile back). I also have a new short that would like to make soon.
Thanks for your support.