Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Gregory N. Ranky: In a world like ours, where conscious robots are commonplace, a courageous female android enters a futuristic martial arts tournament to save her old neighborhood from developers.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Action, Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi, Sports (these last 2 primarily).
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Because I want to see settings where conscious A.I.s are commonplace, and story conflict derives from nonviolent causes; and I’m tired of the predominant android/robot/A.I. stories from Hollywood being a variant of Frankenstein, Pinocchio, Pygmalion, or a slave uprising.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
5 months on this draft.
7. How many stories have you written?
4 Feature Films and 1 Short Film as of January 2019.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
‘The Remedy’ by Jason Mraz.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I had to research OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) and 4 martial arts styles for their movesets, develop convincing supporting characters, determine an engaging and valid motivation for my protagonist, and keep the pacing steady.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Advances in conscious A.I., alternative approaches to nuclear fusion.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Positive so far, I highly recommend it to other screenwriters.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Positive reaction to my submitted logline. I found the initial feedback useful and accurate, and plan to incorporate it into future drafts.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Logline: To save her old neighborhood from developers, a courageous female android enters a futuristic martial arts tournament.
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi, Sports
Umar – 8 – Ron Boyd
NARRATION – Hugh Ritchie
Liz – 217 – 16 – Jen Daniels
Tia – NG – 10 – Anne McMaster