YAMAN was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the Janaury 2019 LGBT Feedback Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Raghuvir Joshi: Yaman was a personal story to begin with. The struggle to separate from my soulmate after having discovered my sexuality was the most excruciating yet rewarding experience of my life . I wrote the film during this time – It was cathartic.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took me about a month and a half to write it. After which I sent it to my producer, Tayyab Madni of Picture Works Australia, who came on board to produce the short. It took roughly 6 months to complete the film once the script was done.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Simple but complex.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The struggle to be objective to the script as it was immensely personal.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Nothing short of overwhelming! When I saw the audience echo and reiterate everything I envisioned and wanted to say through the film, It was the biggest reward 🙂
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
It was my personal journey that inspired the idea for this film.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Recently , I have seen ROMA – by Alfonso Cuaron a lot of times. Every frame is a story!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
FilmFestival is a great platform for filmmakers. Easy to use and offers submissions to a large variety of International Film Festivals, which gave us the freedom to select the Festivals that suited our films theme.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I have listened to the Indian classical Raga – Yaman the most times in my life – the emotion that Raga generates is the emotional DNA of my short film.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I am in the process of writing the feature script based on my short film, Yaman .
Reblogged this on WILDsound Festival.