Submit exclusively via FilmFreeway:
Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Todd Bird: At its core, Little Earthquakes is a reflection on racism, homophobia, and self-discovery. Literally, it is the story of Troy, a gay man who is returning to his hometown in Scranton Pennsylvania for his class reunion with the hopes of facing his ex-wife for the first time since their divorce. During his trip however, Troy is forced to face several unpleasant realities about himself and must come to terms with his role in a violent and heart-wrenching incident.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Little Earthquakes is important because it deals with racism and homophobia in a realistic manner as it truly exists in today’s world. It also portrays a very underrepresented demographic: non-stereotypical gay men, gay men of color, and accepting families.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Realistic and melancholy
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Stay – Sugarland
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
This is my first screenplay so I have re-written it so many times as I have learned what works, how things should be formatted, etc. Plus finding time to write and hold down a day job is never easy.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I am passionate about tennis… playing, watching, tweeting. I also love running tennis tournaments and have run a charity LGBT tournament for several years to raise funds for a local HIV/AIDS charity.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I have found Film Freeway very easy and user friendly. The hardest part is researching what contests are worth the effort and the money.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I like that this is LGBT specific given the genre of my screenplay. I enjoy any feedback i get whether I use it or not. I have found that everyone’s opinion is so different… things one person hated and told me to remove, another critic praised. Just hearing the different voices has been extremely helpful however.
Troy and his boyfriend return to his hometown to attend his class reunion with hopes of re-connecting with old friends and possibly making amends with his ex wife. But nothing goes as planned for the ex-jock.
Casey – 3 – Hartley O. Gyamfi
Man/Nolan – 2 – Allen Michael Brunet
Narration – Sean Ballantyne
Maggie – 13 – Ariel Brooker
Troy – 10 – Kevin Gabel
Reblogged this on WILDsound Festival.