Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Josephine A. Perry: The title of my pilot for my TV series has been changed to SHATTERED. Shattered is more accurate regarding its overarching theme: how one family, generation after generation, tries unsuccessfully to leave its destructive past behind by pretending it never existed. It incorporates a variety of themes in the pilot; some are only hinted at initially but then looked into fully in later episodes: for example, miscegenation, that ugly term used by racist lawmakers to stop people from integrating the races in the US. Or the uniquely American version of narcissism that Americans tend to believe makes them “the greatest nation on earth” as well as the ongoing abuse of women by men of power. It also introduces us to a woman whose life work will be to explore the abuse and pain of young women and young men in a society that has collapsed from drug abuse, self mutilation, and capitalism without limits. These are the stories that keep the seasons developing so that the main character’s story, once it is “solved” in a sense, is not all there is.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
It is a drama certainly with parallel stories of young men and women whose lives are in crisis and for whom the main character Francesca involves herself, perhaps far more than she should in order to steer them towards healing.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It is a TV series
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Dark and penetrating
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
About 6-8 months. It is still being formulated although there is a bible but the pilot itself is in another stage.
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Believe it or not I love September by Earth, Wind and Fire. I met the woman who wrote it and I can say she and that song are one of a kind.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The main character eluded me for months. What is the engine of this story that will keep it moving past a mini series. I found it recently and am now working on a rewrite.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
The environment. My documentary Within Reach (www.withinreachmovie.com) won several awards and accolades. It is about sustainable communities in the US
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site
? It’s good but you need to know more about the places you are sending your work.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
This festival has been very helpful, encouraging and rigorous in their feedback.
Genre: Drama, Thriller
When she learns her mother’s been released on parole for the murder of her father 25 years earlier, a bi-racial woman suffering from panic attacks faces inner demons and the possibility of losing her career as a counselor for troubled teens.
(Inspired by a true event )