THE CALL played to rave reviews at the July 2018 FEMALE Feedback Film Festival in July 2018 in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Jia Li: I was planning to do a collection of horror films that only happened in one location and one night.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I came up with the story in a cafe at a nice warm afternoon in San Francisco. And I finished the rough draft of the script the next day. The whole preproduction took 3 weeks, 17 hours on set production. And one month for post production.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We only had 17 hours for production including preset the studio. It was very tight schedule. It was a big challenge for everybody in the crew, so we need to act fast on set. But we had so much fun during the production.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was excited to hear all different opinions from the crowd. It gave me confidence for my next project.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
We only have one living room studio we can use, and 17 hours for production, so I needed to come up with a story under these circumstance.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think film freeway makes the process convince for filmmaker to manage their submissions.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Recently I am listening film soundtrack for a goodnight sleep, but during daytime I am listening to the Chinese hip hop songs recently.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
My next film is a zombie post apocalyptic short film, around 30 mins. Hopefully finish the whole production by the end of this year, then catch the film festivals for 2019.
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.