BOY was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the LGBT FEEDBACK Film Festival in April 2018.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Declan Quinlan: I wanted to tell a gay story that highlighted how being gay and repressed because of your environment can really alter a person’s state of self and treatment of other gay people.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
November until December was writing. Production was January 19 and 20. Editing was until May.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Time constraint and so many locations on short time! Too much moving about. Filming in the apartment was the easiest because it was one space all day.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Very proud to have a reaction and understanding like this. I was too nervous to watch immediately. I love the responses. It gives me confidence to pursue unique stories in the future and also makes me happy that the story was understood the way I wanted it to be.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
After multiple failed attempts to try write something that wasn’t me. This idea came to me one night and I finished it over three nights. It felt like a secret that cracked out of me. Not autobiographical, but metaphorical.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
A great tool and social media network.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Probably Toxic by Britney Spears. Listened a million times when I was very young.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes writing a feature, taking my time.
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.