ORNAMENT OF BEAUTY played to rave reviews at the Under 5 Minute FEEDBACK Film Festival in April 2018.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Andy Fortenbacher: My producing partner, Stephanie, and I were interested in extracting a fantasy/horror from Shakespeare’s Sonnet #70, which is ultimately about slander. It seemed like a challenging opportunity to tell a story very different from my other work.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
On and off, it took us about 2 months to complete this project.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
A single day shoot that was consumed by a tropical storm.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was a rare pleasure to receive video feedback from a film festival. Probably one of the coolest things I’ve received in a while. Nobody else does this! As a filmmaker, it’s always good to hear what the audience thinks about the work, especially when you’re not able to attend the festival and hear firsthand. My hat is off to you!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Many elements of the sonnet were used as inspiration, but I took ample artistic liberty when working through the surreal visual approach, story and characters.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I’ve been pretty happy with Filmfreeway. When withoutabox was years outdated, Filmfreeway came in with a fresh, cheap, and simple approach to getting my films to festivals.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Grateful Dead: China Cat Sunflower
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m currently developing three feature films and always writing.
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.