October 2017 Winning Feature Screenplay Winner
1. What is your screenplay about?
An isolated, deserted trailer park in the middle of the desert falls under control of escaped convicts. Two guys on a camping trip accidentally become prisoners in the park and their trip turns into a fight for survival.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Plays on everyone’s fears of being isolated, controlled by another human and put in an inescapable situation.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
John Carpenter’s HALLOWEEN
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
Driving across the desert between Arizona and California (Had a summer home in CA) Seeing abandoned buildings especially in the abandoned town of Desert Center, CA and the soon to be ghost towns around the Salton Sea, CA. A lot of visuals went into this script from these two locales.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Building some of the motivation for a few of the characters while keeping the readers on their toes and curious.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Reading about writers (Bios) and photography.
11. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Read some reviews on your festival which were positive. Feedback was to say the least, educational. I learned a lot about character development and pacing. The feedback was very encouraging regarding my writing. Appreciated it very much!
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Good porthole for entering contests. Always updating info on upcoming festivals. Just one miscommunication on the acceptance of a spec I did in one festival. A mass Email was sent to clarify the issue in a few weeks.
WATCH the Screenplay Reading:
Genre: Action, Adventure, Crime, Thriller, Horror
Two men fly a Cessna from California to New Mexico for an out of state camping trip. They encounter bad weather and are forced down in the desert with no means of communication. Their situation becomes worse when they run across escaped convicts hiding out and are taken prisoner in an abandoned trailer park. They soon find out there’s more horrors waiting for them.
Narrator: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Jory: Sean Ballantyne
Robert: Connor Lyon
Mike: Shaun Mazoka
Travis: Dan Cristofori
Fulton: Brennan Clost
Char: Rachel Rain Packota
Leona: Julie C. Sheppard