THE BOY WITH THE TEDDY was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the January 2019 European Short Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Alessandro Schuster: Get lots of inspiration from great movies. And I wanted a child to be the key figure. I also think that the theme of the film is receiving far too little attention in our world today.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you
to make this short?
The first idea for the story was in November 2016. The shooting was in February 2017 and the team screening of the film was in May 2018.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
I can’t answer this queston 🙂 sorry.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
To cut the flashbacks into the movie so that they are well placed and not overdone.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking
about your film in the feedback video?
I was glad that there were so many different perceptions of the film. One has noticed the narrative method, the other has understood the process of color grading. That’s nice, that such things stay in the minds of the audience.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
That answers the first question a bit. But I was at a festival at the time and suddenly had the characters in my head at night after the aftershow party and wrote down the first frame story.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I can not say that. I only know that it will always be more!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings
of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
In my opinion, Filmfreeway is the best platform for filmmakers to submit their own films quickly and well at countless national and international film festivals.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Also not countable. They’re getting more and more. But on top of my ‘Most Played Songs’ list on my phone is, among others, Manu Chao’s ‘Siberie Fleuve Amour’ and Tocotronic’s ‘Electric Guitar’. Otherwise I hear a lot of house / electro, reggae, rap and pop.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
As an actor, I currently shoot many television and movie productions. Otherwise, I’m currently producing the music video for the title song of our movie “Teddy’s Lullaby” by Mike Shoe, which will be released soon.