Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Terry Connell: Based on the memoir of the same title, “Slaves to the Rhythm” is the true story about an inter-racial gay couple,Terry and Stephan, as they explore the themes of self expression, love, and what defines a family, during the early years of the AIDS crisis.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Drama, Biographical, Historical, LGBT
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
With three African American female leads, one African American gay male lead, “Slaves to the Rhythm touches on issues as such as inter-racial relations diversity, gay rights, religious extremism, and the history and impact of the AIDS epidemic. This script is not only topical, but adds an important voice to these current cultural conversations.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
I’ll give you three: Strictly Ballroom, Kill Bill I, Torching Trilogy
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Appr. 6 years.
7. How many stories have you written?
Hard to say, more than 20, less than 50.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Again, here are three: Car Wash (Rolls Royce), Espiritu (Thomas Otten), Two Grey Rooms (Joni Mitchell)
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Money, of course, and the fact that this is an “AIDS movie” keeps some people from considering it.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I am an Acupuncturist and Yoga Teacher.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I like FilmFreeway a lot. They are organized, keep me posted on any updates with my script.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
There are so few LGBT festivals – I was excited to find Toronto’s. To have a part of my script read live was incredible! Feedback is always an interesting conversation, I actually rewrote part of my script based on some of the feedback I got.
Stephan – 10 – Kevin Gabel
Big Dawn – 10 – Georgia Grant
Narration – Ariel Brooker
Terry – 12 – Hartley O. Gyamfi
Terry’s Mom – 6 – Regan Brown
Terry’s Dad – 4 – Allen Michael Brunet