Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Molly Waterman: In order to prove her loyalty, an ambitious GMO scientist must convince stubborn owners of an fiercely independent sustainable ranch to partner with her agro-chemical corporation or risk losing her job, and worse, her reputation.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
The debate over how “clean” our food should be has become a hot topic in America. Ranch Exit dramatizes the connection between chemicals used in – and on -crops, and how chemical companies will do anything to suppress the truth that their products are deadly.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Probably Erin Brockovich… the film definitely inspired Ranch Exit
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
On and off for ten years, but really concentrating on it for the past three years.
7. How many stories have you written?
Besides Ranch Exit I’ve written another drama and two comedies.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Probably “Out Here On My Own” from the 1980 film “Fame”
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Working a full-time office job (40-60hrs/week), raising two children who are now in college, and trying to spend quality time with my husband of 30 years.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Besides my family (husband, two children and our awesome dog), I love all the Colorado outdoor activities (running, skiing, hiking, golfing, gardening). I also see as many movies, musicals and plays as I possibly can.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experience working with the submission platform site?
This being my first submission, I’ve found the FilmFreeway site to be a streamlined way to upload my script, and easily build my profile for use on future submissions.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The LA Feedback Film Festival caught my eye because I really want as much feedback as possible, and the festival name itself intrigued me. I received in-depth, thoughtful feedback for which I am very grateful. Based on this feedback, I still have a lot of changes to make on Ranch Exit: t’s all about the re-writing!
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
An ambitious GMO scientist must convince stubborn owners of an organic ranch to partner with her agro-chemical corporation or risk losing her job, and worse, her reputation.
Haughton: Luke Robinson
Lassiter: Scott McCullouch
Cathy: Julie Sheppard
Narrator: Regan Brown
Isabel: Vanessa Quagliara
Marcus: Daniel Jones
Lala: Cassandra Guthrie