GON, THE LITTLE FOX was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the June 2020 ANIMATION Feedback Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Takeshi Yashiro: I love the original story written by Niimi Nankichi but when I was a kid, I couldn’t realize how good it was.
Since the original story is a classical children’s literature, I thought most people hadn’t been able to realize the true goodness or beauty of the story like me. So I wanted to make this short film so that audiences can discover how good and beautiful the story is.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took about 2 years to complete.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Treasured Book (I am delighted if this film would be like a treasured book of the audience.)
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
To balance the artistic aspect and the entertainment side. I wanted to include the artistic aspect that can be objectively enjoyed and also the entertainment side that makes audiences to immerse themselves in the story as well.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was glad that the audience had paid close attention to the details and felt what I wanted to express.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Many ideas were coming out and piling up little by little. The most brilliant ideas were popped up in my mind right after I woke up so I tried to sleep a lot.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
“Take Me Out To the Snowland”
This is a popular movie which represents a certain times in Japan. I watched it when I was in high school and I remembered I felt jealousy for how incredibly the movie excited the audience.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s so helpful to submit a movie to many fabulous film festivals easily.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I can’t think of anything.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I haven’t decided anything for the next one but it would be a short film. I am always thinking to challenge a feature film someday though.