TROJAN HORACE was the winner of BEST COMEDY ANIMATION at the July 2022 FEEDBACK ANIMATION Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
A bunch of us were just out of college and had started work in Northern California. We were all living at the same condo complex at the time, and we all had the drive and ambition to do an animated project. Of all the silly ideas we had, this film was the one that rose to the top.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Piggybacking off of the last question, technically it took 25 years from start to finish. All of us had work and families, and it just never picked up steam. Then a few years ago, I felt compelled to make it. So what you actually see on screen, was done in my spare time over the last couple of years.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I have an incredible animation day job 5 days a week, but the last thing I want to do is more of the same at the end of the workday. It took some effort to find time to work on this project. But once I actually sat down and started animating, it was so much fun. I would often find myself looking up and seeing it was 2:00 in the morning and having to force myself to go to bed.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was really happy to see that they were commenting on things that I specifically set out to put into the film. And to hear people respond to and point out those things was quite wonderful.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Probably since I was a kid. I was always drawing cartoons. One day I snuck into a screening of “Rescuers Down Under” and came out of that knowing I wanted to be an animator.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
It’s gotta be neck and neck with “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Back to the Future”.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Seeing as this was pretty much my first experience with it, I have to say it was great. I’m sure it would be difficult to round them up, but it would be nice to get feedback from industry veterans.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
I think it’s a really nice way to keep track of the festivals and your film submissions. It’s well organized and helpful to have everything located in one central hub.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My dad made something lovingly called “Hamburger Mush”. Can’t be beat.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’ve mapped out a sequel to this film, so maybe that. I also have another film I have been working on with a friend of mine for pretty much just as long as this one. I think it would be nice to actually finish that one before the two of us kick the bucket.