“hard stop.” was the winner of BEST DARK COMEDY at the June 2022 COMEDY Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
My daughter and I are big film fans and we’re always riffing on ideas, trying to crack each other up. She wants to get into the industry so I figured it would be a fun way to help her learn some skills and spend some time together. The script idea came while I was cramming too many rushed snacks between too many Zooms
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About 3 months. Fitting it in around work and school was a challenge. I thought it would be faster but a friend in the industry talked me into shooting the Zoom scenes properly, which took way longer. But I’m glad he did.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The editing software I was using absolutely lost the bundle in the middle of production. So I had to stop and learn a new editing package and start again.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I’m a writer, so to have the script recognised was really gratifying. I was also really grateful the performances were acknowledged, as the actors really put the effort in.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
My job in advertising has put me on a lot of sets and productions and it’s the part of the job I love the most. A year ago I bought myself a decent camera, mainly for photography, but I quickly worked out it would be okay for video production as well. so I started hunting around for an idea to turn into a short script and went from there.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Here’s a clue: “I asked for a car, I got a computer. How’s that for being born under a bad sign?”
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
The feedback element is great, especially for virtual festivals or when you can’t attend in person. I’m just getting started making films and entering competitions, so I can’t really say. Hoping to attend a festival irl soon. (Zooms can be dangerous, you realise)
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Super smooth. Seems to be a very stable, mature platform.
10. What is your favorite meal?
The one on my lap while I’m watching a movie.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We’ve been really encouraged by the film-making experience and now by the feedback, so we’re scripting the next project as we speak. It’s another comedy, but technically a bit more challenging. Gotta be learning, always.