WHATKILLEDTIMMYBENSON was the winner of BEST DIRECTION at the June 2022 HORROR Underground Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I used to be in a band but when it ended, I had time on my hands. Besides that, my wife battled with depression for years so that had a great impact on her but also on my state of mind so I needed something to keep me busy. As a job I do 3D stuff, in the field we call it 3D generalist but I never really animated so that was something to explore.
I love Stephen King and Anton Pieck(A Dutch artist) so I made a blend between those 2 influences and use a creature/villain as a metaphor for the depression my wife battled with.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
During a period of 9 years on the weekends.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Animating, I had zero experience at the start and it is not a thing I particularly enjoy the most but a necessary evil to tell the story.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It felt good that people loved the feel of it, I love creating vibes so that it came across was very enjoyable.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I think I always knew but never dared/knew how to start so after making this animation I know for certain. Animation enabled me to make and tell the stories I want on my own terms.
I did another traditionally shot short film during the last 9 years as well and that was also an experience, I liked so definitely something to pursuit.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Definitely feedback is much welcome like you provided. It could be a bit more in depth. Perhaps when there is a particular film, you’d like get them into contact with some professionals in the field. I love dem laurels but one is also hesitant to use it if one does not know the weight of the festival if you know what I mean. The film does well and gets selected but what is the bar and how many other films participate.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It is easy and helpful for someone like me who never did something like this before to send the film around to places all over the world. But it is also a jungle to find the festivals that suit your film because there are thousands of festivals.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Something you don’t have in America 😀
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am brainstorming on a new animation; the base idea is there but will give it more time to develop. And a filmed thriller/horror short film. Just dark films:)