SILENCE was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the June 2022 LA DOCUMENTARY Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have always been fascinated by the marine world, I practised diving myself at a very young age, and these unique sensations provided by apnoea are so special that I always thought that my first film would talk about it.
When I met Adryen, it seemed to me the ideal subject to talk about deep-sea apnoea and try to propose something different
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I wrote the film during the first lockdown, and with the benevolence and help of technical friends, we started shooting at the end of 2020. Then time resumed its normal course, and it was very difficult to complete this project because all the shootings resumed and no one was really available anymore! It took patience and above all we didn’t want to neglect post-production because for me the work of sound had to be essential
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
« Eyes closed »
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Probably the return to work after COVID. We were so happy to resume normal life that this parenthesis of confinement that allowed me to shoot this film closed a little quickly! Apart from that, I was really supported by really very talented people
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was so… grateful! This is the first time that the film has been seen abroad, and also that strangers reacted to my film. The feedback is so benevolent that it makes you want to watch this video as soon as you have doubts and feel bad! I am especially happy that most of my intentions were noticed.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I have always filmed everything, my life, my friends, everything. I was passionate about film, I thought I wanted to become a DP. After studying cinema, I started working on feature films as a camera assistant but digital technology arrived and I found the work less interesting, less magical… at the same time I didn’t want to admit that what I wanted was telling stories, and that digital was precisely going to help me do that.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I would say probably « Apocalypse Now »!
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Honestly, I don’t know. This is my first film and my first festival. Having a price is already something magical! Maybe one day having the opportunity to see the film screened face-to-face would be great
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great, it’s a really great platform
10. What is your favorite meal?
I’ll have to say Pasta in cuttlefish ink… or pizza. Or whatever Italian food.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am looking for funds to realize the same kind of format on aerobatic. The ambitions are high, both visually and on sound!