TERMINUS was the winner of BEST FILM at the May 2022 SCIENCE & NATURE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We were inspired terrified of the impending climate crisis and wanted to create something as that carries a warning but also hope
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Around 2.5 years from concept to final edit lock, scripting and pre-production took only around 6 months to properly sort out, production lasted a weekend and the edit was approx 6 months dotted around 2 years due to covid making it so difficult to meet in person and work on the edit. We also had some major script changes to make in the edit and it took us a while to reconstruct the narrative to get it back on track.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
For a fairly simple film concept i.e. no dialogue, outdoor locations, using natural light, simplistic costume etc it was made super complex by working completely on steadicam using anamorphic lenses and the arri alexa mini. It meant larger crews and bigger workflows, also day one there was moonsoon rain which meant we lost 25% of of filming time. This then made the editing process much harder as we had to reconstruct the narrative using what we actually shot rather than what was scripted.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Its very humbling and exciting to see and hear that the audience got what we were going for and felt passionate about it.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I used to work as an actor when i was much younger but felt not enough people could see what we made so i got into film with the idea that even if the audience was low, it would be there forever for people to enjoy
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Sister Act 2
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think offering additional screening opportunities
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Filmfreeway is super easy to use and understand
10. What is your favorite meal?
British Xmas Dinner
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m next developing a stop motion animation about two musicians who play to each other through the walls during covid lockdown