FREDDY, THE HANDYMAN played to rave reviews at the April 2022 COMEDY Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
After writing and producing a short film about PTSD, “The First Responder”, I wanted to do something much less intense. While talking with that film’s lead actor, Chris Thompson, he voiced concern that his 9-5 job would end soon. Since acting wasn’t paying his rent, and he liked to write, I suggested he write what he knows about: an actor’s life. We threw ideas around, developed characters, situations and scripts, one of which is “The Handyman”. Thus, Freddy was born.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From the initial “Freddy” idea to shooting “The Handyman” episode, about 15 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Putting it all together during Covid.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Delighted that the concept was recognized as having potential to continue, but surprised that we didn’t hear “could have done that thing better” comments. We surely found a few!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
While doing public relations work it became a necessity. Strove to make them creative.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Many festivals went virtual these past two years, limiting networking opportunities. I think more festivals should follow your model by offering viewing opportunities to industry professionals.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Excellent resource for identifying festivals for consideration and submission.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Anything but snails or worms.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
To further develop the Freddy project and bring a laugh to mankind, oops, womankind, oops, everybody.