CHECKPOINT was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the April 2022 SCI-FI/FANTASY Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Matt (The cinematographer) and I were wanting to do something that blended together a bunch of our interests with horror, sci-fi, and gaming that had some bigger story potential and could easily be expanded into a longer feature or series.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I would say about six months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Challenge accepted. We knew this was going to be one of our more ambitious projects but wanted to push ourselves to go bigger than our previous shorts. There was definitely that point in the middle of it where I remember thinking “I’m in over my head,” but it does make it all the more satisfying once it’s finished!
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The shoot itself was a bit challenging as we had a bit of a hike to our location. We were also prepared for heat, but it ended up being unseasonably chilly. I think we were all fine with how that worked out though! Outside of that, post was the biggest obstacle just for the sheer amount of visual effects shots.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The feedback video is something I really love about this festival. It’s a very gratifying experience and I appreciate being able to see how people responded to the film!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’ve been interested in the idea of making movies ever since being captivated by Raiders of the Lost Ark as a kid.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That would be John Carpenter’s The Thing. Some other contenders: Jurassic Park, Hot Fuzz, and the original Evil Dead.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Honestly, at the end of the day every festival we’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of has been a great opportunity to both showcase our work and network with other filmmakers. I always enjoy the community aspect that festivals bring.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Love it! It’s a simple to use platform that opens up a lot of possibilities!
10. What is your favorite meal?
If there’s tacos on the table it’s gonna be a great night.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We just finished shooting a horror comedy short about a punk band trying to survive a feisty killer mime. So I’m jumping into post on that and aiming to shoot another short horror film later this year!