WAYOB was the winner of Best Performances at the Feb. 2022 Experimental Film Festival
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We made this film as a way to explore three collaborative energies: the movement and paper fashion design of Renata Sheppard fused with the cinematic imagination and talent of Mexican filmmaker Dfaniks and the unique fashion designs inspired by Mexican culture created by Angela Nasta of Sindashi.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
We had a very quick and spontaneous process but each collaborator came to the table with a well researched concept. We went from meeting each other to concept to production and post production in one month. We filmed for one day and Leonardo Schwartz, the collaborating dance artist and Renata rehearsed for 2 days to develop the movement language.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Working with a limited budget.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
So happy to hear the feedback and appreciation for our work: the movement, the paper dress design, the charcoal, the synergy between the dancers, the gorgeous hand-painted clothing by Sindashi and David’s talent behind the camera and in the editing room. We feel seen and it feels good:)
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
As soon as I met David (Dfaniks) I knew I wanted to work with him. I had a limited time in Mexico for an artist residency and we knew we had to make something happen. It was also an opportunity to create something with Leonardo Schwartz, a professional contemporary dancer who is such a beautiful mover and I really wanted to play with our creative chemistry on screen.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I think the record still stands for Sound of Music from watching it so many times as a kid. Anima by Thom Yorke is my most recent repeat watch.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Feedback and visibility are essential!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It makes it very easy:)
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Planning and running Experimental Film Virginia, my film festival which is entering its 10th year in 2022!