ON ENEMY GROUND was the winner of BEST FEATURE Film at the Feb. 2022 POLITICAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was interested in what remained of that conflict after 20 years.
In Italy, and perhaps in Europe, those events have marked the memory of an entire generation and have shut down their desire to fight for a more equal world.
I think that the arguments of that movement are still relevant today, because concerns very serious issues as global warming, economic crisis, desertification, widespread poverty, racism.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
SupportoLegale activists allowed me to shoot only 4 days plus one with Zerocalcare, the cartoonist. He is a well known author and his voice is really appreciated in Italy (he is also the author of a Netflix series) and the with the actor Valerio Mastandrea who plays the judge and the poet at the end of the movie.
Shooting sessions took place in Genoa, Bologna, Milan and Rome over a period of 5 months The editing took about 5 full immersion weeks, the post production one more week.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
QUIET and SHARP
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Many! A few days of shooting, the different views on the film with the activists of SupportoLegale, the loneliness of the editing process
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I got very excited, then I listened again several times to understand better and all the people had grasped at least one aspect of the film that I considered important. They observations are very punctual-
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I was a boy I liked to work with slide films using two projectors and a hi-fi system. It was like editing movies, which I’ve shoot first and then edit.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
At 15 I fell in love with a girl named Anna, for her I was just a friend: it was a very sad story :). Annie Hall came out that year and I’ve seen it 15 times. I saw him 15 times crying.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I am very satisfied with my experience at your festival
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Very easy to find the festivals, choose and apply.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Since I’m Italian I am supposed to like pasta or pizza among every other food. And I do, but I also like to eat fish and also legumes like chickpeas or lentils.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
In Italy it is very difficult to find funding for an independent documentary film, I am still looking for funding for a documentary film that I wrote 4 years ago.
It is the story of a group of non-professional mountaineers who back in the 70s climbed many mountains in the world; Himalaya, Karakorum, Greenland, Andes and they make some beautiful S8 movies that I have acquired.
It’s a story of dedication, adventure and friendship.