THE POOL was the winner of BEST FILM at the December 2021 FEMALE FILMMAKERS Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Most of my work focuses on the parent/child relationship, as I believe it’s the most complicated relationship we have. And The Pool stems from a number of incidents in my life, from conversations that stretch back to when I was a kid to one between another mother and myself, as well as a major error on my own part as a mother. Then, once I get an idea in my head that won’t go away, I know I must write it (and in this case, film it).
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The idea first percolated back in 2012, then the first draft was written in 2016, and it was finally shot in 2019. But it was not finished until 2021.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Our inability to do ADR until the protocols were in place to keep our actors safe during Covid.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Overwhelmed. My team and I were thrilled that the film resonated with so many people. When one audience member said, “I hope you make more things like this, because more people need this in their life,” I knew that that would stay with me for a very long time.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
When I saw Out of Africa as a kid. However, I wanted to be a cinematographer at that moment, due to its sweeping shots.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Outsiders (because I watched it every time it was on Showtime when I was a kid, and now my own children have seen it twenty more times). We even call my little guy, “Soda Pop.”
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
First of all, the feedback is amazing, so thank you for that. The one thing that will always help is trying to connect us to producers, managers and agents, who resonate with our work.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Phenomenal. Really easy to work with.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Chicago-Style Pizza (very specifically, with pepperoni, pepperoncini, black olives, and mushrooms), Diet Coke, and Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Lots. I have two screenplays that have producers and directors attached, that are hopefully moving forward in the next year. I have another feature script (not written by me), to which I am attached to direct. And my small production company, Lion and Mouse, just discovered a wonderful script that we are in the midst of optioning — we hope to raise money and cast that film next year. And I’m in the middle of writing four new projects — a TV pilot, and three features — all of which are at different stages of development.