BROOD X was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the November 2021 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Well, as the name of the film tells the motivation was Brood X cicadas. This creatures who spends most of their life underground once matured have to imeditly die, fascinates me. As i was contamplating on their life i felt like it reflects us as a humans. We grow we struggle, we have to overcome ourself to achieve the best version of our self, and in many cases we destroy our self on the way. some survive some don’t. Just like cicadas. Conceived at the top of the tries, once hatched have to go to the ground so that then clime back to create new life cycle.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me spring and summer to complete the project. It started as home movie and I was just filming my kid and cicadas, when it slowly emerged as narrative. Originaly i wasn’t even thinking to submit it to festivals, it was personal essay. but eventually i though, why not share it with others.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle was to keep kid engaged. As he wanted to do anything but be in the film. Plus is home movie it was challenging to keep motivation going. the every day is biggest killer of inspiration.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Honestly I was in little shock. I never have festival sending me reactions. It was so nice to hear people having thought about my work. As with all this online screenings you loose touch with people. Festivals always were about human connections and interactions. I can’t express enough how much this means to me as a film maker. Thank you Thank you Thank you. I wish more festivals would fallow your lead.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I’ve been making films for more then half of my life, i don’t even remember when i thought to start this path. In my opinion if you can leave without making films, don’t. It’s a treacherous road. I’m unfortunately coursed, so I have no choice.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably Ninjago, but mostly because I have 7 year old son. Films for me like a food, I don’t have favorite, it all depends on the mood and where I’m in life.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Film making is all about human connections. the reason we make films is to share our world. And film process require a lot of man power, for that you also need other people to be aware of your work.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great. very intuitive and easy. I love it.
10. What is your favorite meal?
To me question is not what meal, it’s where you eating it. I prefer surrounded by people I love.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I’m working with old friend of mine, actress and we are adapting play she wrote during pandemic, in to feature film. Hoping to shoot this summer.