GENESIS was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the November 2021 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It’s a mystery even for me, and it stays as such until the work it’s completed. Seriously. But I love it.
I learned to trust my instinct, my subconscious when I’m actually shooting. I just feel the moment.
The location, the model, and the mood of it all drive my decisions.
Afterward, when the editing is done, and only then, the meaning unravels before my eyes.
Not the other way around.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
For “GENESIS”, the shooting took 3 to 4 hours. The editing took a month.
It’s not like a feature film. It’s not made by a crew, really.
It was just me, my camera, the model, and the Make-Up Artist.
I wanted to keep it as simple as I could.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We shot on a very tall cliff, and I have fear of heights, but the location was outstanding, I couldn’t find a better place, really.
It’s called “Valle della Luna” (Moon Valley), Sardinia.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was so happy, because all of them got the essence of it, and the meaning too. I can tell they got involved by it, and I felt very proud.
It proves I can connect with other people through this kind of storytelling, and that is great.
One of them said: “this film it provokes you to think, it provokes you to analyze it in different ways”.
That’s exactly the point. So, big thanks to all of them.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Well, never did anything else, really. This media has been raising me since I was a child. It’s the way I like to connect with other people the most.
The sheer entertainment, the pleasure of storytelling through motion pictures.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Not sure if you mean what genre or one movie in particular.
I have no preference for any particular genre. As long as it’s been made with passion and care.
Coen Brothers, Kubrick, Villeneuve, Spielberg, Nolan, Cuaròn, Inarritu, Refn, Tarantino, Anderson are some of my favorite directors, and they made amazing films.
But, for me, the all-time movie is Matrix, by Wachowski Sisters. Still today, I think it’s a masterpiece under every aspect.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I think is very important to be able to meet producers through festivals. That would help a lot.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway it’s a very well-organized platform site. I had no troubles whatsoever. It’s simple and user-friendly.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I just finished a short movie, called VANESSA.
It’s a science-fiction film, but it tells a story about life-changing choices.
That’s something I wanted to talk about for a very long time. Also, I got a site coming up with more of video portraits, “GENESIS” style.
It’ll be available on my Facebook page very soon.