THE REBOUND was the winner of BEST DIRECTION at the October 2021 CHICAGO Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I came up with this idea during the height of the lockdown. I basically tried to come up with a story that could take place in one location with two actors and as small a crew as possible. Once I decided to make a story about two people in a bedroom, I tried to think of a good awkward situation to put them in.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about 4 months. I got the idea and started writing around Christmas of 2020. The final edit was completed around the end of March 2021.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We were using the natural light that came through my bedroom window for most of the light. It was only good for about 4 hours and was constantly changing. We had to really make sure we were keeping on our own schedule to get everything done.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
A smile from ear to ear for sure. Many people have mentioned how relatable our story was which was a very happy surprise to me.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
It has truly been a lifelong dream of mine. I was lucky to be taken to so many amazing big fantastical movies growing up like Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, and Pirates of the Caribbean. My 7 year old self wanted to be a part of those worlds, and I have not changed much since.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
It is most likely Jaws. My parents first showed me and my brothers this when I was around 1st grade. It became a family favorite and still watch it at least once a summer.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
FilmFreeway is an amazingly easy website to use. You can find any festival in the world. It has what the festival is looking for, and it has what the filmmaker is looking for.
9. What is your favorite meal?
It’s got to be steak and French fries. Some crispy onion straws on top. A glass of red wine to go with it. Perfect.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m almost completed with a final draft of a feature film, but I will most likely make another short or two before going all in on getting that created.