HIT N RUN was the winner of BEST DIRECTION at the September 2021 BLACK Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I think the alienation that stems from navigating a new environment definitely motivated this story above all. I wanted to touch on the black experience and genre tropes in a way that not only resonates, but is also entertaining.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From idea to the finished product, a little over two years. Given the pandemic it took a bit longer than expected, but here we are!
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle we faced would have to have been the pandemic. Between hiring a COVID compliance officer and making room in our budget for PPE and lodging arrangements, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t add another element of stress to our production. Luckily, we were all conscious of the risks and worked our hardest to ensure the cast and crew’s safety.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was great to hear such detailed feedback. A lot went into this production and to hear people speak highly of our film means the world.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I realized I wanted to make films at a young age. I’ve always felt compelled to share and hear stories from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. I feel that it’s the most effective way of expanding your worldview, with film being the medium that touches each artistic discipline in one way or another. It allows for expression in abundance.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
At this point, probably Drive.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think it’s fantastic, especially for new filmmakers. It simplifies the process to limit confusion and allows you to track and map your festival run in the most efficient manner possible.
9. What is your favorite meal?
I’m satisfied with a simple steak dinner. Potatoes, broccoli as sides. Nothing crazy.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
You know it!