JEFF HILLIARD – SILICONE WAVE played to rave reviews at the August 2021 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival
1. What motivated you to make this film?
This is what I am passionate about… creating satirical characters, writing a song and then producing a music video from their point of view. About 14 years ago, I watched a BBC documentary about men and their Sex Dolls. It was very odd, disturbing, creepy, sad, fascinating and weirdly beautiful. These guys with their love dolls had it all… passion, pride, rejection and feeling justified with their lifestyle. There was so much depth with their reaction to feeling rejected by women and society. They had a vulnerability and deep desire to love another person. Instead of giving up on love, they filled this desire with a realistic sex doll.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
My videos can actually take a long time to put together. I am the writer, producer, actor and director with the help of my incredible cinematographer, John Orphan. We make them with ultra low budgets. We shot this video on three separate days over a period of a month. Writing the song and producing the video was a couple of years in the making — there is a LOT of effort and planning that is done before actually shooting.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle is always a limited budget and not enough time.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I loved it! I never know if anyone will get my sense of humor, appreciate the concept, like the song, get all the hard work and detail put into making it. I always feel weirdly vulnerable when people view my work but it really is the best feeling in the world to make people laugh.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I fell into it in college when I discovered I wanted to pursue a career as a character actor. As a little kid I wanted to be on SNL… or be in Van Halen.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Big Lebowski
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are yoru feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I love it.
9. What is your favorite meal?
10. What is next for you? A new film?
My next song is called “Consensual.” It’s a beautiful song about a Guru and his Consensual Sex Van. Enough said.