CHERI MOON – AIN’T I A WOMAN played to rave reviews at the August 2021 EXPERMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
– Cheri’s voice and empowering performance were so inspiring that I could immediately envision the film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
After we discussed the idea for the film, Cheri went into high gear and I think we went from concept to in the can in less than a week. It took a bit longer to edit it but Cheri wanted to release it to coincide with Women’s History Month, so we pulled out all the stops.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Empowering and visionary.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Filming all of Cheri’s costume changes in one day, in the middle of the desert. It was really ambitious, but we had a great team and everyone pitched in.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Joy! I loved crafting this film with Cheri and we hoped others would feel as empowered as we felt inspired making it.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Since I could pick up a camera.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The English Patient. It’s Márta Sebestyén’s voice in the transcendent score that makes that love story so sublime.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
As an independent filmmaker it’s afforded a much more efficient way to present films to festivals.
9. What is your favorite meal?
One shared with friends.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m working on an experimental film about a group of young women scientists in Central Asia.