DOJO played to rave reviews at the August 2020 Dance & Music Festival.
What motivated you to make this film?
Nikodem: When I was watching my kids sports events, I noticed the hysterical behavior of some parents in the stands. I then imagined the point of view of a child whose only wish is to be away from this competition, who sees this competition as a nightmare. I told myself that it was a good start to talk about the society in which we live, and the education that we impose on our children.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
The preparation for the shoot was fairly quick. 3 months. But the sound post
production took a long time (8 months) because there were complications. I
started working with one composer, then started over with another. Then the
finalization took a while. I would still like to retouch some things.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
At first, I didn’t have enough extras, as some canceled at the last moment. I
had to call people at the last moment. Then, I had to adapt to work with child
actors. You have to know that you have to be efficient on the first takes, to
have the spontaneous side. Fortunately, during the preparation, the family was
very available, and the children were amazing.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was pleasantly surprised because some of the feedback was really relevant, and
like my previous film “De Glace” in 2017, I found the feedback to be kind and
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. What film have you seen the most in your life?
7. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s a great opportunity to present and promote our work. Knowing that our films
travel, and are enjoyed, is a great pride. Our films only exist if someone is
8. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I heard it through the grapevine » Marvin Gaye
« Last Dayz » Onyx
« Lose Your Self » Eminem
9. What is next for you? A new film?
After “De Glace” and “Dojo”, this fall I will be shooting the third short film
of this trilogy devoted to sport and society. The action takes place this time
in a weight room. I am also working on writing my first feature film.
Reblogged this on WILDsound Festival.