FEDERAL APPROVED PARENT was awarded BEST FILM at the August 2020 COMEDY Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Katrina Cebreiro: The time that we live in motivated me to make the film. It’s crazy times! Also the idea of who is really qualified to become a parent? It’s kind of weird to think that anyone, legally can become a parent if they wish, yet the government screens us if we want to buy a gun or we are interviewed if we want a job. But there are no qualifications to become a parent! Even if the government was to regulate on that aspect it would feel a bit too much like a tyranny.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I had this idea for awhile. I really wanted to shoot something, but we were in quarantine. So I looked through all my old ideas and picked the one that was easiest and safest to shoot quarantine style. It took 6 hours to shoot and about a week or two in post production.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
When editing, it’s hard to decide what take to use when it comes to comedic storytelling. Initially it seems funny, but after hearing it over and over again, you start to question if it’s actually funny. So I’d go back and forth, replacing takes.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Scared! And then relieved because they had a lot of great comments!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I was having trouble getting pregnant and when I finally did four years later, I lost the baby. So I felt it unfair that it’s so easy for other people to have babies, but not myself. And then I thought if I am even qualified? What if we all had to be approved by the government for parenthood. Who would actually make the cut?
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Thirteen and It’s a Beautiful Life!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Really easy to use!
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Let it Be by the Beatles.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes. My first feature film!
Reblogged this on WILDsound Festival.