Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
M.W. Hogan: Technically, it’s about a narcolepsy specialist doctor finding herself in an awkward position while having an intimate affair with a patient.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s a one-page script; ideal for a micro-short comedy. Single location; small cast; low-to-no budget. Like a great, short, variety show skit.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Wizard of Oz
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
Well over 100; short stories and screenplays combined.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
To tell a story in one page/one minute, you essentially have to skip the first act and open with the inciting incident that launches the second act. I like it because it teaches parsimonious word selection.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Related: reading and watching films. Unrelated: island life adventures.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I’d rather not answer because I don’t want to piss off the Coverfly folks.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I like short-form film and, therefore, short-form screenwriting, as well. I like that there’s a competition and opportunity to get feedback. To be honest, though, I can’t find any email/record of receiving feedback for “Deadweight”. Nor can I find any competition results (finalists, winners, etc.)
The director of a narcolepsy and sleep disorder clinic finds herself in more than an ethical dilemma when a patient falls asleep atop her during an in-office tryst.
Narrator: Allison Kampf
EILENE: Val Cole –