WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME BUS was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the June 2020 Experimental Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Nuno Serrão: Ever since I read a book on creativity by the choreographer Twilla Tharp, I have always wanted to do something with contemporary dance. I find it has so much in common with the creative process that happens in filmmaking.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Well, I had the idea a while ago, but it all come together very fast after I talked with my friend Nuno Barcelos (that helped to produce this film).
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I have to say the most significant obstacle was that I only had the bus for 3 hours. When we started, the light wasn’t right, it was still too early, and the owners were very helpful. Still, they couldn’t hold the bust until nightfall, so my solution was to find a tunnel with roundabouts on each end, so we ended doing the same tunnel over and over while we filmed the whole thing. Luis Daio, the dancer was incredible, doing take after take without any rest, and my crew of one, Andreia, was amazing also.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Happy that people understood what the film was about. This was shot a year ago, and it’s strange that it even more relevant today.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The plot came during a lunch with Nuno Barcelos, but the story and theme behind it have been always in my mind.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
This one is easy, 2001 Space Odyssey.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Its the best platform around, no doubt about it.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Hard one. Maybe, Goodbye Blue Sky from Pink Floyd, American Beauty from Thomas Newman, Nils Frahm – Hammers, I don’t know, anything by Philip Glass, there are so many.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have a couple of projects in mind. Hopefully, I will be able to do a short film and a documentary.
Online link to the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSR5RyKX8k