UNIFIED THEORY was awarded BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the April 2020 Animation Feedback Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Christina Hibner: This was a student thesis film I created as a final project for graduate school at SVA. I feel there are not enough scientific cartoons that explain how the world works in a fun and engaging way. I wanted to build that bridge for people.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
A little over a year.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
This was my first short film after learning what after effects was only a year prior. Getting up to the speed of my vision for this film was a real challenge.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Wowie! They are talking about my film!? It made my heart glow with pride.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I come from a scientific background. I got my BA in physics in 2017 so I have always really been inspired by science. I would sit in class and try to understand how the world works. In my first month of art classes, I noticed the way my professor was talking reminded me of my science classes in that he was showing us how the world inside the animation program works except this time, I had the power to control every element. This made me feel like a god in training where I was the one creating the reality inside the animation program. This got me thinking about being a creator and how even the greatest ones have to start learning from somewhere. Making mistakes are an important part of learning.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I don’t watch a ton of movies, I am more of a TV person. that being said, I have seen the South Park Movie many times over.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It’s a convenient place to apply to a variety of festivals and get information on them as well as pay all in one place.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
According to my Spotify, that would be Woodstock by Jon Bellion although recently I have had Beetlejuice the Musical on loop.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
For now I am working at a medical supplies company as a photographer/ video graphics person but I do plan on creating more shorts in my free time.